We may have answers…
Frequently Asked Questions
No. Though we would love for you to be a member, you do not have to be a member of our site to submit your manuscript for publication.
Nor does your status as a member or non-member affect our decision to publish your work. Our decisions for choosing who we publish are based solely on the content of the work itself.
Being previously unpublished can mean one of four things:
- You have never self-published or traditionally published a novel. This includes publishing with a vanity press.
- You have never been paid for publishing a short story, or have never had a short story or novella published in a magazine or other print media that has more than 1,000 subscribers.
- You have never been paid to publish a short story or other work of fiction on someone else’s blog or website with a reader base of more than 1,000 readers.
- You have never earned money from a piece of fiction you have published on your own blog or website.
The review process begins with the initial review of the information you submit. This process takes up to three days.
If we are interested in the subject, plot, characters, and themes, we pass it along to our readers. Depending on the type of manuscript you submitted, the second round takes between six weeks and six months.
Depending on the length of your manuscript:
- Short stories can take up to six weeks.
- Novellas can take up to two months.
- Novels can take up to six months.
We publish books we affectionately call mutts, because they are hard to define.
Generally speaking, we love barrier-breaking genre fiction. Whether that’s science-fiction, fanatsy, metaficiton, or a combination of all three with a little action and mystery thrown in, we gravitate toward works where the unexpected happens in plot, character, and format.
With that said, we are open to all genres, whether they fit in a nice little genre box or not. As long as it has a strong, compelling story and engaging characters that we want to hang out with, we will consider it for publication.
We mainly publish short stories on our site as a paid feature. Members at the reader and writer level will have free access to all short stories published, while Whimsy members will pay a small fee.
Short stories may also be published in short story collections and anthologies.
In general, novellas are published the same way a novel is published. However, novellas are also eligible to be published in a larger collection or anthology as well.
Our current royalty structure for novels and novellas is as follows:
- Hardcover: 12% for first 10,000 books sold; 15% for the next 15,000 sold; 18% thereafter
- Paperback: 10% for first 50,000 books sold; 13% thereafter
- ebook: 35%
All royalties are based on cover price of the book. Add 5% to all royalties if you are a Whimsillusion Writer member.
Yes. When a short story is published on the site, the author will receive a 65% royalty rate on the purchase by non-members and Whimsy members, and on the first view by paid members based on the list price set for purchase.
If your story is chosen to be included in an anthology or short story collection, you will also receive a shared royalty with all other authors included in that collection, based on our royalty rates for novels.
Don’t see the answer to your question? Drop us a line. We’ll be happy to help!